Thoughts on the ocean, the environment, the universe and everything from nearly a mile high.

Panorama of The Grand Tetons From the top of Table Mountain, Wyoming © Alan Holyoak, 2011

Friday, February 10, 2012

Google Chrome totally ROCKS!


Originally posted 7-1-2011

Not too long ago I decided to try to make some inroads into actually joining the 21st Century.  It took a while, but I got an iPod, I learned to navigate iTunes, I downloaded music...then a couple of years ago my brother Mark and his family gave us a subscription to Netflix as a family Christmas gift.  We ordered DVDs that came in the mail, and we learned to stream movies to our computer on-line.

More recently I picked up a wireless router and installed it on our computer.  This was interesting, but since we really don't have that many WiFi devices around it didn't have that large of an impact.  On my birthday, however, I received some cash, so I decided to use it to buy a ROKU device that plugs into our TV and picks up our wireless router's signal and should allow us to stream Netflix and other things directly to the TV.

I followed the directions, tried to make the connection between the TV, ROKU device, and wireless signal, but it just wouldn't work.  I went online and chatted with a tech person from ROKU, and they had me check out download rate.  While I was using Explorer it was a pathetic 810-900 Kbps.  The tech person said that we needed at least 1200 Kbps to allow our ROKU device to make a connection.  There was nothing else they could do to help us.  Sigh...Grrr...

I didn't know what to try next.  I mean, our wireless is supposed to be one of the fastest in our area.  Then I noticed an ad for Google Chrome on the network speed testing site.  They suggested that perhaps using a faster browser might improve our download rate.  So I gave it a shot.  


I downloaded it, checked my wireless router (Cisco E-1200) settings, and tried the connection speed test again.  After installing Google Chrome and selecting it as our default browser the download rate came in at a comparatively blistering 2200+ Kbps!  Yow!  Google Chrome ROCKS!

Here is the link that will take you to the Google Chrome download page, just in case you are interested:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/make/download.html?brand=CHKZ

We are now streaming Netflix to our TV, and we have not had a signal delay or lost stream since the switch.

I am sold!  If you are having some internet speed issues, maybe Google Chrome can increase your computer's internet download and upload rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment