Thoughts on the ocean, the environment, the universe and everything from nearly a mile high.

Panorama of The Grand Tetons From the top of Table Mountain, Wyoming © Alan Holyoak, 2011

Friday, February 17, 2012

An idea...maybe even a plan!

As you may know (if you read my short bio) I teach a general education course on climate change. As you probably also know, there is a lot of information and a lot of misinformation out there on this topic.  What I would like to do is to start a series of postings that deal with the practice, power, strengths, and limitations of the scientific approach to learning about the natural world, and then build on that foundation by sharing information about the science of climate change.

My goal in posting this information is to provide you with the tools and data you need to reach your own conclusions regarding this somewhat heated (pardon the pun) topic.  In other words, I am not going to be posting any passionate, emotionally charged arguments or persuasion pieces designed to proselytize anyone into either camp that is engaged in the current "climate change debate."  Once you have an understanding of what science is and how it works, and you have the data about global climate in hand it will be up to you do decide what you think about the question of climate change.

I will post entries as time allows, but I've been pretty busy lately so I hope you won't expect to see too many postings right away...still I'll do what I can.

BTW, the order of these postings will roughly follow the same order that I present ideas and data that I use in my course on climate change.  I hope you find it to be helpful and informative.

Best wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment