Thoughts on the ocean, the environment, the universe and everything from nearly a mile high.

Panorama of The Grand Tetons From the top of Table Mountain, Wyoming © Alan Holyoak, 2011

Friday, February 10, 2012

There is nothing like a brisk walk...


When I got up this morning our thermometer read -18oF, and Weather.com showed -20oF and that it "feels like" -36oF. What do you do? You still go to work, and for me that means a brisk walk of just under 1/2 mile to get there.

As I was getting ready to go, a scene from the movie "A Christmas Story" came to mind, you know that's the movie where a kid's greatest Christmas wish is for a Red Ryder BB Gun. Anyway, the scene is the one where the narrator is talking about getting ready to go to school. He says something like, "Getting ready for school was like preparing for extended deep sea diving." Well, I felt a little like that as I had on a vest, a scarf, ear muffs, gloves, and my heavy coat, but at least I could put my arms down! Just as I was getting ready to step out the door my wife asked if I wanted her to drive me today. Well, I was already ready to go, and there was no need for her to be out in the cold if she didn't have to, so off I went.

It really wasn't all that bad. I mean, the walk to work yesterday felt much colder even though it was only about -5oF then. The difference was the wind. Yesterday there was a breeze, and at -5oF it was really biting! During my walking commute yesterday it felt like I was getting brain-freeze like you do when you drink a slush too fast, except that instead of freezing from the inside out, it felt like I was freezing from the outside in. Ouch!

Today there was, fortunately, no wind. I was bundled up nicely, and the only problem I had was that the scarf wrapped around my lower face channeled my breath up and into my glasses, which fogged up most severely.

What I couldn't believe as I walked to work were some of the students I saw...some of them were wearing only hoodies! What is wrong with them!? Well, I guess natural selection will soon be doing its job.

And so, February made it's appearance with a cold slap in the face. What else can you really expect? Though it is has only 28 days, February is the longest three months of the year, and is just part of the romance of living in Rexburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment